It was a great week for iSpace as we celebrated our anniversary! This is a summary of what happened during this week! To view more pictures, check out our Facebook page.
Raspberry Pi Monday: The week-long celebration started with the official unveiling of the Raspberry Pi and the launch of our after school program for pupils between the ages of 13 and 18 years who will learn how to code using the Raspberry Kit. The event was successful as 15 students and teachers from the Manhean JHS attended.
Africa Tuesday: iSpace hosted Multichoice team to launch the Africa Rising Campaign. The Africa Rising campaign is designed to inspire Africans to become involved in community-based social upliftment projects. The campaign was launched with a pan-African, song composed and performed by top African artists, drawing on the very best talent from across the continent. This launch was streamed live at iSpace and across the continent.Let’s Hack Wednesday: Hack4Good was held on Wednesday. This maiden edition of Hack4Good was centered on health. We had doctors, medical students, nurses from Korle Bu and Accra Psychiatric Hospital. They were joined by over 30 developers with various skill levels. The topics they focused on were sexual health, mental health and sex education. There were five groups formed and each group came up with problem definition and an innovative idea.
- Mentolibera: A web/SMS application which has a CSO-based approach to adopt and care for mental patients. the organizations pay through mPower Payments and are able to monitor patient’s progress online.
- Colorite: A mobile game that uses photographic memory of players to help them remember sexual health tips, and to find a way to engage the youth and provide useful information to promote healthy sexuality.
- Mentis: A gamified web/SMS application to help mental patients keep in touch with their doctors, and also provide a way for addicts to reach close people easily when they feel vulnerable.
- Doctor Doctor: A mobile app that simply connects patients to specialized doctors in and around their current location.
- Sexual Health: A web/SMS application to help people connect with doctors, and find useful information that has to deal with the very simple but negligible questions about sexuality.
Team 5 (Sexual Health) won the competition and the prize package of $3,000. They have received half of this amount and will receive the remaining upon completion of a prototype.
Let’s think together Thursday: We invited some stakeholders in the tech ecosystem to talk about the way forward and challenges This discussion was over lunch and the general consensus was that the ecosystem needed more support financially. Also it was realized there needed to be synergy amongst the hubs to offer the best for the entrepreneurs.
Party Friday: We were joined by the community to celebrate our anniversary. We had traditional foods such as Eto to commemorate the occasion. We also had two iSpace members- Donald and Pamela dee-jaying. It was a fun night out with the community.